The All Encompassing Rules Thread

Discussion in 'Golf Rules and Etiquette' started by President Gasman, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Dent

Dent Phil

I am always uncertain on this rule but I think I broke it last game, pretty basic.

Ball is on the fringe and I was putting, I went and removed debris from infront of my ball that was on the putting surface, as well as repaired a ball mark.

rules violation?

2. "Almost" Gio

"Almost" Gio Bald Eagle

See: Rule 16 - The Putting Green, specifically 16-1(c):

hole plug or damage to the putting green caused by the impact of a ball, whether or not the player's ball lies on the putting green. If a ball or ball-marker is accidentally moved in the process of the repair, the ball or ball-marker must be replaced. There is no penalty, provided the movement of the ball or ball-marker is directly attributable to the specific act of repairing an old hole plug or damage to the putting green caused by the impact of a ball. Otherwise, Rule 18 applies.

Any other damage to the putting green must not be repaired if it might assist the player in his subsequent play of the hole.

as for the debris - you can move without worry. no more than moving a twig near your ball if you're in the rough/fairway/etc.

Nature Boy Jlit and Dent like this.
  3. Coolbreeze

Coolbreeze GTG BABY! Staff Member

No, and you can remove debris from the fringe that is in your way too, but you can't fix anything on the fringe.

Nature Boy Jlit and "Almost" Gio like this.
  4. "Almost" Gio

"Almost" Gio Bald Eagle

correct

5. Dent

Dent Phil

But I can repair on the putting green??

6. Coolbreeze

Any ball mark, yes. Even if your ball is off the green. Hell your ball could be in the rough, or in the bunker, and you can still fix a ball mark on the green.

Nature Boy Jlit and Dent like this.
  7. Dent

Dent Phil

Cool, thanks Breeze.

8. Kmac

Kmac #HOF Staff Member

Can I fix the area behind my ball?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Nature Boy Jlit

Nature Boy Jlit Moderator Staff Member

I'm assuming you're referring to a plug mark that your ball hopped out, and like dents scenario, you are on the fringe. No, you can't repair any marks or holes unless they're on the green.

10. Kmac

Kmac #HOF Staff Member

What a dirt area made by a tractor? I assume it was a John Deere.

RUSSS and President Gasman like this.
  11. Coolbreeze

Yes, but not if its a Kubota.

12. Kmac

Kmac #HOF Staff Member

Stupid orange tractors.